Friday, May 16, 2014

Slow country: Belgium

When it was decided that I have to come to Brussels with my family members, I asked my predecessor working in Brussels what I should bring in Brussels.  I anticipated that he would tell me to bring something that is difficult to obtain in Belgium.  However, surprisingly, he told me the only thing that I should carry with me was patience.  I did not understand it at that time.

However, after I arrive in Brussels, I realized what he wanted to tell me was.  It took more than two weeks to bring a line of Internet at home.  It took more than a month to get issued IDs.  It took more than a month to simply exchange my home country driving license with a Belgium driving license at a commune.

Recently, one of my colleagues came to Belgium to study European laws.  I don't know why she chose Belgium to study European laws.  The European Commission located in Brussels might influence her decision.  She is now regretting her decision of choosing Belgium for her study.  She came to Brussels two months ago but has not gotten her ID issued yet.  So, she cannot make a contract to rent an apartment yet.  She is still living in a small tourist apartment.

I don't know why all Belgian systems are slow in operation.  However, there is one thing faster in Belgium than in other European countries.  That is driving.  Belgian drivers are crazy.  They simply ignore traffic signals.  Be careful whenever you cross pedestrian crosswalks, unless you want to die here.

No comments:

Post a Comment