Saturday, April 19, 2014

Marvelous Thai noodle soup: two NOIs in the Brussels area

A bowl of noodle soup at a Thai restaurant must be a great lunch menu for every one.  I like a Thai noodle soup more than an Italian spaghetti.  Of course, what I most like in terms of a noodle dish is a Japanese Ramen.  Today, what I would like to say is the most delicious Thai noodle soup that I have ever experienced the Brussels area.

I have recently tasted two same kind of Thai noodle soups.  Several months ago, I went to a Thai restaurant named "Noi" at Wavre with my colleagues.  When I heard from one of them that we can have Thai noodle soups as long as we can at a noodle soup price, I guessed that the noodle soup would be a unsavory dish for hungry people who do not care about taste.  We drove from Brussels to Wavre about 30 minutes.  When we entered the restaurant, we were surprised at the scene that people were lined up at a noodle cart to get noodle soups.  It looked like that homeless people were in line to get free food from a relief organization.  Despite the bizarre scene, we joined the line to taste the noodle soups.  For each person, the dispensing chef put a small chunk of noodles, toppings, and soup in a bowl.  Each person could add seasons on the noodle soup.  We returned to our table and tasted.  It was marvelous.  We gulped the noodle soups without a word.  We went back to the noodle soup cart to get another bowl.  We again gulped them.  We went back to the cart to get another bowl.  It was an unbelievable experience.  


I told my wife and kids about the noodle.  They asked me to take them to the restaurant too.  But, the magic noodles were served only during lunch hours.  I could not take my family to the restaurant.  While I pondered over how I let my family taste the magic noodle, I heard from one of my colleagues that there is another Noi at Linkebeek to which my house is close.  This Friday, one of the Easter holidays, I went to Noi at Linkebeek with my family.  Noi at Linkebeek was equipped with the exactly same concept with Noi at Wavre.  However, Noi at Linkebeek was run by Thais, whereas Noi at Wavre was operated by Belgians.  In addition, Noi at Linkebeek provided more noodles and toppings for bowl than did Noi at Wavre.  Thus, we did not need to go back to the noodle soup cart three times.  This time two rounds of noodle soups were enough.  And, Thais at Linkebeek were more friendly and nicer than Belgians at Wavre.  My family and I were satisfied with the magic noodles at Linkebeek.  While coming back to my house, my kids urged me to take them to Noi at Linkebeek next week again.

No comments:

Post a Comment