Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fishing in the North Sea

My family went fishing in the North Sea in July 13.  This sea fishing is for the first time in my life, my wife's life, and my kids' lives.  Actually, this fishing was organized by my colleagues several months ago.  The initial plan was that my colleagues and their families of 50 people would participate in the event and charter a boat.  However, we postponed this plan because of bad weather.

When my colleagues re-organized this fishing event in July, the number of participants decreased to 13.  Some already left for their summer vacations.  Some seemed to feel uncomfortable when they were asked to prepare snacks for their families (They were not supposed to prepare anything when a bigger group was organized).

My colleagues contacted Franlis, a sea fishing company in Ostend of Belgium and reserved 13 seats.  We rent fishing rods and reels from the company.  Even they gave us baits.  What I took for fishing were a small knife to slice baits, an ice box, beers, and some snacks. 

www.franlis.be/seafishing/concept

We were asked to arrive at Port Ostend around 6:30 a.m. because a fishing boat was scheduled to leave the port at 7:00 a.m.  It took two hours the boat to go out to the middle of the sea.   Even though the weather was excellent for fishing, it was a little bit chilly.  We made several cups of coffee because we could use electricity in the boat.  The boat traced schools of fish with its radar.  When the boat reached a school of fish, its captain honked and we threw the lines in the water.












One of my colleagues caught more than 20 fish.  My family caught only 7.  However, my kids looked really excited.  My wife did not know how to clean the fish.  So, she wanted to keep only two cods and gave the rest of them to others.  When we returned to the port, it was around 5:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment